Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Homemade Hair Gel -- Natural and Scent-free

So many people have posted about this topic that I can't believe that I've never seen or heard of it until last week.  I was communicating with my sister about other things I'm trying to make more naturally and she mentioned hair gel made from unflavored gelatin.  Wow!  That blew my mind!

There are a lot of ratios out there, so a few days ago I made up a small batch.  Here's how I did it:

1/2 cup filtered water
1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (unsweetened, of course)

1.  Heat up the water until hot, but it doesn't need to be boiling.

2.  Add in the gelatin and mix very well, until thoroughly combined.

3.  Pour into clean squeeze-top bottle and place in the refrigerator.  The liquid will thicken up as it cools.

4.  Now shake up and use the same way you would use chemical-laden, smelly hair gel.  Note:  It wasn't quite as smooth as I wanted, so I ended up blending in my Magic Bullet to get rid of any lumps.

Notes:  My hair has been getting pretty thin with the changes in my hormones, so I think next time I will make this with the following ratios, which are mentioned in this post:

          1/2 cup filtered water
          1/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin

I don't add anything else, because I tend to be pretty sensitive to fragrances and extracts.

A friend commented to me last night that she could see that my hair was super shiny, which I think is true.  The shine even lasts once I've brushed through my hair at the end of the day.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this, so "Thank you so much!" to my little sister!

There are also postings and videos out there about making hair gel from flax seeds.  I'll try this out soon and let you know how it goes.  Have a great hair day!

No comments:

Post a Comment