Friday, October 10, 2014

Banana-Coconut Pancakes and Muffins


I woke up this morning with time and a hankerin' for coffee cake or pancakes. Well, since I first had to make coconut milk, a green smoothie, grind the flax seeds, etc., I decided on the pancakes, because they would be quicker.  And, I was hungry!

I found this recipe by Terris on freeeatsfood.com, and decided to give it a try, since I would already have the "coconut flour" from making the milk.  Of course, I made some adjustments to the ingredients, based on what I had, and I doubled the recipe because I ended up with 1/2 cup coconut solids.

Every other pancake recipe that I've tried has been a disappointed until today!  These were so easy and yummy that I ate ALL the pancakes in one sitting -- not recommended, but SO GOOD!  I will definitely be making these again when I make my next batch of coconut milk!

Banana-Coconut Pancakes and/or Muffins

1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup brown rice flour
Approx. 1/2 cup solids from making coconut milk*
6 Tablespoons ground flax seeds**
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 heaping tablespoons honey
1 cup coconut milk, homemade
1/2 cup water*
4 teaspoons vanilla extract

1.  Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  I used my pastry cutter, since the coconut solids weren't completely dry.

2.  In a medium bowl, mash the bananas, and then add the honey, and vanilla and mix thoroughly.

3.  Measure out the coconut milk and water in a large measuring cup.

4.  Then, dump all of the wet ingredients, including the water and milk, into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Beat batter until thoroughly mixed.  You don't have to worry about over-beating, or being gentle with the batter, since it doesn't have the gluten, which is what stiffens a dough or batter.

5.  I used about 1/3 of the batter for pancakes and 2/3 for muffins.



6.  FOR THE PANCAKES:  Preheat the griddle over medium-low to medium heat.  Once the griddle is hot, use your preferred oil or fat to grease the pan. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter on the griddle for each pancake.  Cook until the batter looks dry on the upper side (about 4-5 minutes).  The griddle-side should be medium brown.  This allows a delicate crispy texture and keeps the pancake from sticking.  Flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until it is speckled with medium-brown spots.  Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm (and to keep you from eating them all!) while you're cooking the rest of the pancakes.



7.  FOR THE MUFFINS:  Preheat the oven to 220*C (375*F).  Spoon the batter into the muffin pans, until it fills each cup about 2/3 full.  Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown on top.  Remove from oven and allow to cool.

*  The coconut solids from making the milk are not quite as dry as a flour, so I only added half the water that the recipe originally called for.

**  I used regular, brown flax seeds, and ground them myself so they're fresher.  I don't mind the brown flecks in the batter and they're cheaper and just as good for you.  If you prefer the flax to disappear into the batter, go ahead and use ground golden flax seeds, as Terris did.

Please let me know how these turn out for you and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment