Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Grinding my own flour

I just recently bought a used Blendtec Kitchen Mill.  I am soooo excited!



While I can buy certain flours made from gluten-free grains here, they are most likely ground on the same machinery as wheat.  So, this means I need to make my own.  However, to grind grains like rice, quinoa, etc., into flour, is a tall order for most blenders, food processors, etc.  When my husband noticed that a woman was selling a used one here, I jumped out of bed, way before my normal time to get up, and email her straight away.  For those of you who know me, I don't jump out of bed.  It's more of a slow, cat-stretching crawl... and takes a while.  Well, that's how much I wanted to buy this machine!  Thankfully she contacted me right away, and let me pay her in two payments.  Such a sweetie!

So far, I've only made brown rice flour, but it did a beautiful job!  Yay!  The previous post mentioned the gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free bread that I recently made with the flour.  I am so looking forward to trying more things now that I know I can have safe GF flours to use.  I'll post more as I get to experiment with different flours and recipes.

For those of you with access to lots of GF options, be thankful.  It's not that it's good to go crazy with them, since they are usually full of quickly digested starches, but it's so nice to have the option when we get a craving for comfort food, isn't it?

Happy, healthy eating!  Or, as we say here, "Buen provecho"!

No comments:

Post a Comment