Saturday, September 13, 2014

Sardines?

Well, here I am finishing up another try at sardines.  After eating canned tuna my whole life, sardines are another step in fishiness for me.  The media is full of news about how high the mercury levels are in larger fish, like tuna, but how healthful small fish like sardines are -- they are very high in Omega 3s.  So, I keep trying.  :-)

However, I've found a few tricks to make them more palatable.  I can only find canned sardines in vegetable oil or in tomato sauce, and think I prefer them in oil.  Once I open the can, and drain the oil out, I gently scrape off the scales/skin under water, since this has a stronger fishy flavor to me.  Then, when combined with something tart like lime juice, pickles, or capers, the flavor is even more subdued.  Here's is the recipe that I just tried and really like:

Smashed Sardines with Avocado

I ate this on rice cakes, but will be trying to adapt the Chia and Flaxseed Loaf recipe to avoid eggs, probably tomorrow.  I do miss a nice slice of bread!  I'll post to say how it goes!

Update:  I made the Chia and flaxseed loaf a couple of days ago.  I think it makes an interesting way to eat bread.  However, here are a few notes:

I made this with my own GF flour mix made from 40% homemade brown rice flour, 30% tapioca starch and 30% white rice flour that I bought, which I think worked pretty well.  It is however, a little bland, and it best cut into thin slices and really toasted.  I think I'll try adding in quinoa or amaranth flours to give it more flavor next time.

The day that I made the bread I ate several pieces, and didn't feel very well by the evening.  I'm not sure if it is too much fiber for me (in the form of psyllium and Chia seeds), or if the white flour is contaminated with gluten, since I did not grind it myself.  So, I've been limiting myself to two thin slices a day to see if this helps.

I will be trying other bread recipes now that I can grind my own flour, and I'll post the results here.

No comments:

Post a Comment